The American Civil Liberties Union of the Nation’s Capital (ACLU-DC) seeks an experienced litigator with a passion for the full range of ACLU issues for the position of Senior Staff Attorney.
About the Organization:
The ACLU is a nationwide, non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights. The ACLU of the Nation’s Capital (ACLU-DC), founded in 1961, advances the ACLU’s mission in the District of Columbia through litigation, legislative advocacy, public education and organizing with 5 paid staff, numerous volunteers, and more than 3,000 members.
The ACLU-DC has an active annual docket of about 50 cases addressing a variety of issues. Our legal strategies are part of a multi-disciplinary approach to advocacy that integrates legal, policy, and communications strategies and is built on the belief that fighting for civil liberties and rights means not just persuading judges but also gaining the support of policy makers, government officials and the general public.
Under the direction of the Legal Director, the Senior Staff Attorney will further the affiliate’s litigation program and will work in concert with other staff to advance civil liberties agenda.
The Senior Staff Attorney will also be responsible for developing civil liberties and civil rights impact litigation. The attorney will litigate individual and class action cases raising constitutional and statutory claims in DC and federal courts, at trial and appellate levels, through direct representation and the filing of amicus briefs. The attorney should anticipate working in a range of civil liberties and civil rights areas. The Senior Staff Attorney, in conjunction with the Legal Director, works closely with cooperating attorneys from private firms and often works as co-counsel with other public interest attorneys, including attorneys with the National ACLU.
Required qualifications include:
- Minimum five years litigation experience;
- Ability to litigate independently and under pressure;
- Ability to analyze and articulate legal concepts and communicate them to a variety of audiences;
- Ability to develop and implement policy advocacy and legislative strategies;
- Excellent writing and analytical skills;
- Skills as an articulate public advocate;
- Personal enthusiasm, optimism, and a sense of humor;
- Ability to work long hours and weekends when needed;
- Ability to work cooperatively on a variety of projects with lawyers, organizers, other staff members, and with diverse community organizations and coalitions; and
- Membership in the DC Bar (or must pass next DC Bar Examination if currently a member of another state Bar).
- Experience supervising other attorneys, litigation assistants, interns, organizers, or advocacy staff;
- Non-profit experience a plus.
Salary depends on experience. Excellent benefits include paid vacation in addition to 12 office holidays; medical, vision and dental insurance; life and long-term disability insurance; WMATA metro stipend; and 401(k) plan with employer match.
Initial review of applications begins February 22, 2016. While the position is open until filled, there is no guarantee that applications received after the initial review date will be reviewed. Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply immediately.
Applicants should email a resume, cover letter describing the applicant’s interest in this position, three references (who will not be contacted without the applicant’s prior approval), and short writing sample (no more than fifteen pages) to the attention of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Senior Staff Attorney” in the subject line. NO CALLS, PLEASE.